Friday, August 28, 2009

A quick note about Crocodiles

The most exciting news that I've ever heard in my entire life is that there may or may not be a salt water crocodile on Pohnpei. I say may or may not because no one seems to know for sure if it is indeed a crocodile or a giant fish in the mangrove swamps in U. U is the name of the municipality next to ours. According to lore, and by lore I mean Barry the Australian ex-pat who we talked to last night, as long as there are plenty of dogs and plenty of pigs around there won't be any immediate threat to humans. Plus crocodiles are extremely rare on Pohnpei, they have not naturally occurred here for a long time if ever. They tend to stick south of the equator, and the only island in Micronesia that is known to have "salties" is Palau; which as you all know is 1000's of miles away. But if these extremely territorial animals are somehow forced to look for a new territory, they can spend months swimming in the open ocean until they find land. They only need to eat every few months. And if they can't find land in a reasonable amount of time, or if they just get too hungry, they use their magic to teleport to the nearest island or atoll.

In other news I will pick up my spear gun on Wednesday that Wilfred, this dude we know, ordered for me. In addition he is going to lend us his canoe so that we can go out and try to spear fish in the lagoon near Madolenihmw. Wish me luck as I track down and kill the crocodile that took my leg.

Also, as promised, here are some pictures. Enjoy, Mouseketeers!

JP

1 comment:

  1. You must hunt down that elusive saltie...I mean it man. You could make national headlines for spearing the leg-snatching croc...

    ReplyDelete