Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fish fry at the Applebottom's



So I ventured into my first foray into local cooking. I'd bought a breadfruit (ridiculous I know because they grow everywhere), a local squash, and a pound of reef fish from the fish market. Total cost $3.50. The picture to the left is the type of fish I bought; for reference sake a striped surgeon fish.

This meal was a comedy of errors. When you buy a breadfruit you'd better eat it right away or it starts to ferment. I didn't eat it right away so I ended up throwing it at the bulldozer that's been abandoned by our apartment. Trieste doesn't like squash. I don't know how to cook reef fish.

As anyone who has known me for a while will know, I had a traumatic experience with a flopping fish when I was a child so luckily these had already met their maker. But their maker did not gut and clean them for me so I had to take care of this myself. The whole process of cleaning, scaling, cooking, and recooking, took about two hours. Many lessons were learned, few tears were shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment