Saturday, January 8, 2011

Holy Smokes....so much Rum

So I haven't updated this in six months and that means that I've got to parce down six months of tears and jears into a tid bit. So here goes.

1) We moved to Dominica, not a surprise but still surprising. We are living in a village on the Hibiscus Highway (aka the island road) called Colihaut. Colihaut is known all over the island as being the noisiest village in Dominica and this is totally appropriate. Dogs, roosters, competeing sound systems, whistles, bullhorns, car horns, dump trucks, hurricane force gusts...all competing at 8am to be the one to wake me up.

2) The caribbean is has a completely different set of rules for politeness. Which I've been learning but still forget. You have to say hello to everyone and everyone wants to say hello. But if you aren't in a hurry on your walk to the beach you may end up with a bag full or limes, a rum drink or a beer. Dominicans are very generous.

3) Oh we live in Dominica not the Dominican Republic. Dominica is a former British, French, British territory that became a Commonwealth of Britain before gaining independence a few months before Hurrican David demolished the island so that Britain didn't have to do anything for the people. The caribbean is full of stories like this.

4) And the Rum. Rum Rum Rum. Bush Rum, Bay Rum, Fruit Rum, Herb Rum, by the glass or by the bottle, mixed with coke...who cares. Rum is alive and well on Dominica. My neighbor, the Doctor, gave me some bush rum that stripped the enamal off my teeth and made me go blind for 10 minutes.

I could go on about the island, but I won't because this is just a refresher about where I am. Last thoughts...I appreciate everyone's well wishes and as they say here "I hope for many happy returns to you in the new year." Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment