Sunday, December 6, 2009

Just hear those sleighbells ringaling, Please turn off the Christmas Music.

The Christmas season is in full force on our little island home. I like Christmas as much as the next guy but there is just something not quite right about an 85 degree December. All the businesses have their halls decked with holly, the Nativity on top of Ace Hardware is massive and impressive, and Trieste saw a shirtless black Santa in board shorts as a decoration. Ho Ho Ho, I love it all. But I don't like Christmas music, call me a Grinch, but it's irritating. All those years of working retail probably. Oh well three weeks to go.

So we had our first Micronesian thanksgiving, or I should say our first Thanksgiving in Micronesia, because this is not a Micronesian Holiday as lot's of people pointed out to me. Even if the College Campus on Chuuk got the day off, I'm not bitter because we went to TWO Thanksgivings, one on Thursday and one the following Saturday. We had all the standards, Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, because apparently you can import just about anything. After the Saturday Thanksgiving we went to a variety show. Our People we know here did a lot of crazy and silly things and it was fun, more or less. I didn't do anything because my talent for annoying Trieste doesn't really translate to a audience situation, even if my art is superb.

I feel like I have more to say, but that's it.
jp

2 comments:

  1. Hi J.P. & Trieste, Just wanted to wish you both a merry christmas and happy new year. We miss you guys and look forward to seeing you back in the USA somday. J.P. so sorry about the heated holidays and your aversion to Christmas songs so hum along now "Oh the weather outside is frightful / But the fire is so delightful / And since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....." sorry I couldn't resist. Love you. Auntie Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so good in the post.
    Many thanks for your nice posting, I like it.
    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete